Click on the questions below to find the answers.
- Who exactly is Decision Investments?
- What do you mean by “fee-only?”
- What do you mean by “individually managed?”
- What is your investment philosophy?
- Do you guarantee performance or rates of return?
- What makes Decision Investments different from other money managers?
- What about your fees - how do they compare to other types of firms?
- If I retain your firm, who controls my money?
- What safeguards do I have with Decision Investments?
- Do you keep in touch with your clients?
- What if my financial circumstances change?
- What if I change my mind about retaining Decision Investments?
Q. Who exactly is Decision Investments?
A. We are a fee-only financial advisory firm that provides Portfolio Management, Financial Planning, and 401k advisory services. Top
Q. What do you mean by “fee-only?”
A. We charge a specific fee for providing our clients with information or advice and for managing their portfolios. We have no vested interest in and we do not receive commissions from any firm selling financial products. We are objective consultants whose only interest is in providing clients with the most appropriate responses to their financial situation. Top
Q. What do you mean by “individually managed?”
A. We don’t design one-size-fits-all portfolios. We work with clients to develop an “asset allocation model,” which is like a blueprint for structuring their investments. It’s based on their individual circumstances, the range of returns required, the limits of acceptable risk and the timing of contributions and withdrawals. Top
- proper asset allocation
- adequate diversification
- avoidance of excessive risk
- active management
Q. Do you guarantee performance or rates of return?
A. No, the world of investments doesn’t operate that way and there are legal restrictions against making performance guarantees. Markets fluctuate. We project probabilities, not certainties. The good news is Decision Investments has a performance record we can point to with pride. Top
Q. What makes Decision Investments different from other money managers?
A. We would like to think many things differentiate us, but most notably, fee-only services, direct attention to individual client’s portfolios, and active management. Top
- We do not charge you a fee every time an investment is bought or sold, so you do not have to worry about “churning” or excessive amount of activity.
- Commission-based firms can cost clients between 1.5% to 8% of assets under management. This is payable either as an up-front commission when you buy, or a back-end commission when you sell, or a combination of both.
- Investment advisory firms generally charge 1% to 3% annually.
- Decision Investments charges annual management fees determined by the following schedule:
Q. If I retain your firm, who controls my money?
A. You do. You are giving discretionary control to Decision Investments to manage your portfolio. We can only perform the tasks you allow us to do, such as transacting trades and billing your accounts. Top
Q. What safeguards do I have with Decision Investments?
A. Decision Investments never takes possession of your money. Our third-party custodian, Charles Schwab Institutional, holds your funds at all times. This provides a shield of protection between your funds and Decision Investments. Click here for the Schwab Security Guarantee Top
Q. Do you keep in touch with your clients?
A. You bet we do. Keeping you well informed, as well as ongoing education, is part of our service. We provide written quarterly performance reports and review them with you. The reports display both absolute performance as well as a comparison to market benchmarks. We also communicate periodically in between quarterly reviews as the need presents itself. Top
Q. What if my financial circumstances change?
A. We’re prepared for that and will redesign your portfolio accordingly. We have structured Decision Investments with individually managed portfolios and a quarterly review process to give us an efficient way of responding to your changing needs. Top
Q. What if I change my mind about retaining Decision Investments?
A. We’ll be sorry, of course, but your contractual agreement with Decision Investments includes a no questions asked termination policy. If for any reason you choose to disengage our advisory services, you leave with no financial obligation. You have no long-term commitment to us and we charge no exit fees. Top